Archive

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Blistering Filibuster against CIA Nominee

Kentucky Senator Rand Paul
Comment: Today, my son wanted to play computer games so I let him get on. I then sat down to play some more Xbox games, but as the game was loading up, I decided to browse through the different channels of my new high-def TV. I stopped at channel 351. This is the Senate floor. It is Kentucky Senator Rand Paul (R), on the floor of parliament challenging the Obama nominee for the head of the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). I was about to switch when the captions caught my eyes - he was filibustering and taking hosting the senate vote for confirmation. Then I also noticed, he had started 2 hrs ago, at approximately 1145 a.m (Eastern Time). It must be good I thought! So I found myself glued to it; been watching it for five hrs now. This is a historic filibuster but more importantly an important battle against government overreach. Senator Paul and his colleagues are pushing extremely hard for the President to explicitly explain the limitations of his Drone Programs before the vote for confirmation. This clandestine program shook the nation when detail was leaked to the media by an anonymous source from the Obama administration. A filibuster is when a senator refused to yield the floor and would talk for as long as  he wants, delaying the vote for the nominee and essentially kill the process.
This is still going: Watch it on CSPAN2. 

No comments: