Archive

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Lost Colony: North Carolina

A mystery that haunted historians and conspiracists for centuries, took place right where I was standing.
I do not know much about early British settlers in Northern America, but I've seen a few documentaries on television, and The Lost Colony was one of them. A very interesting history.
Summer of 2006, I took a vacation down in North Carolina, the Outter Banks. A chain of smaller islands connected to the mainland by long bridges. A ride to the Outter Banks on a sunny day is a wonderful experience, watching the beautiful islands emerging slowly before your eyes as your vehicle descends to make an exit of the bridge, and seeing the waters fill with yatchs and people on the beach, and others surfing, is a breath-taking experience.
I took that ride on a sunny Saturday afternoon. I didn't know what lies ahead, but the scene I'd heard people talked about often, made my trip worthwhile. A wonderful feeling, especially when someone else is driving you there, giving you the freedom to scan the horizon and gaze across the sea in all directions.
But such beauty and calmness bear witness to one of the mysteries of the past that I have seen on TV. It took place right where I was standing, a whole colony disappeared without a trace.
I paused to read the history of this site at the visitors center, trying to understand for myself what may have happened in this very sacred place some 400 years ago. The brief information I gathered in addition to information I got from TV documentaries pointed to one thing, a mystery. But was it a mystery or just lack of proper documentation on the part of the Brits who returned to find their people vanished without a trace, a farewell note, not even clues.
The log cabins are replica of houses once inhabited by British settlers. The original site where sand bags were piled to a certain height to prevent charging enemies, still remain, and surrounding the four-squared sandwall are big trees which may have been there that day knowing fully well what happened to these settlers on that fateful day.
In fact, I visited the center after the show ended for the rest of the year. But I enjoyed being there. The chairs were all empty so was the stage. The sound of the waves a few feets away from the back stage, created a sorrowful background sound as I stood there imagining what the narrator may have said about the history of this place to those who went there for the same reason I was there.
Many people believed that these Brits may have moved or even intermarried with the native of this island. But I came out of that site with a different conclusion and that is, the Brits settlers were massacred by native Americans. Brits who returned from England and learned from the locals that the settlers left their settlement. These words were recorded in history and created one of the mysteries of the 17th centurines which is, after 400 years, still fresh today. I made my own conclusion based on the fat that there was growing tension between settlers and natives in those days, especially this island. And though there was no evidence of battle or even possessions found in native homes, the tension between these two cultures should be taken to account. Yet, I know that the end of this colony will forever remain a mystery.

No comments: